Move Sports wins international competition to organise the event that brings almost 1500 UN employees to Portugal
The 46th edition of the Inter-Agency Games, an annual sports tournament organized by UNESCO for employees of all UN agencies, will take place in Portugal between April 30 and May 4, 2019. The Portuguese company Move Sports, the national leader in the sports tourism sector, won the international competition for the organisation of the event.
UNESCO, as the UN agency responsible for education, science and organisational culture, is also in charge of sports and physical education. 46 years ago, it created the Inter-Agency Games, an annual event in which members from agencies around the world come together in the same country to compete in various sporting modalities.
Move Sports is the Portuguese company organising the event, which involves numbers such as:
- Number of UN agencies involved: 50
- Number of participants: 1482
- Number of nationalities: 125
- Number of sporting disciplines: 13 (athletics, volleyball, badminton, basketball, football, tennis, pétanque, cricket, chess, darts, table tennis, swimming and golf)
- Number of hotel nights: 6380
- Municipalities involved: Lisbon, Almada, Oeiras, Amadora and Torres Vedras
- Number of hotels: 7 (Marriott Lisboa, Sana Metro, Holiday Inn Express Alfragide Hotel, Amazónia Lisboa, Amazónia Jamor, Tryp Caparica and Dolce Campo Real Golf)
- Number of sporting facilities: 5 (Lisbon University Stadium, Inatel, Casal Vistoso Pavilion, Campo Real Golf, Bela Vista Park)
To António Cunha, CEO of Move Sports, "this event coming to Portugal is proof not only of the country's ability to welcome more and more sports tourism customers but also of Move Sports's ability to organise large-scale corporate events of the highest qualitative requirements. Inter-Agency Games represents an economic impact of almost one million euros, an indication that sports tourism should be a future bet for Portugal".